Monday, February 28, 2011

Dragon Quest 6/9 and Nintendo 3DS Events












On March 5, Nintendo will be hosting Dragon Quest 6&9 events at Best Buys across the country from 12pm-4pm. You'll be able to tag mode with other players and also get the Orgodemir in-game treasure map. You'll also be able to get info about Dragon Quest 6 and play a demo. Receive a free collectible poster while supplies last. Click on the link below for locations near you:



If you pass your cursor over the top of that page, a pop-up will appear giving you more info and a place where you can put in your state to see if you have any participating Best Buys near you.

I have to say Dragon Quest 9 is a game that keeps on giving months after it was released. You can download new quests and shop items every week. It's only unredeeming feature was its lack of online multiplayer. Just think how big that game could have been with that feature! I think it could have been a phenomenon. Unfortunately, Nintendo sees online features as beneath their notice.





Nintendo will also be hosting free Nintendo 3DS events all across the country as well before the system's release so you will be able to get some hands-on access. They don't have any specific times or sites up yet but they say those will be up soon. You can register at the site below to get email notifications when they do.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/events

I've pretty much decided to not buy a 3DS for 3 reasons. #1 is money. I just bought a new car. So I'm not going to have as much disposable income. Yeah, I can turn in my DSi and get the 3DS for $174 but then I would also have to buy 1-2 games at $40 each so I guess the trade-in would pay for the games. But I already have a ton of games on my DSi that I haven't played.

Think of it with a Dragon Quest 9 analogy. I've built my classes up on my four characters and then the game gives me the option of switching classes. Yeah, I'm going to have more power, but I have to spend a lot of money to buy all new armor and weapons, and that's just a pain to do. Especially because money doesn't grow on trees. I'll just stick with what I've got.

Another reason I'm not going to buy it is I'm not the biggest fan of 3D. I have enough trouble getting used to new eyeglasses, much less extended time playing 3D games. 3D just seems to be a distractor from the enjoyment of whatever medium it is utilized in. When they can make 3D equivalent to actual human eyesight, then give me a call. It just looks so unnatural at the moment. I'll let other people be the guinea pigs.

Something else I found out about the 3DS is that the resolution is not going to be as good when you play regular DS games. Since the 3DS screen is wider, regular DS games are going to be stretched to fill up the screen, which will result in less clear gameplay. It shouldn't be a gamebreaker or anything. It's just like when you make your Wii widescreen on your HD tv even though the system is naturally full screen. But it still bugs me because DS games are already not the crispest games to look at.

I'm not saying I'll never buy the 3DS. I'll probably get it somewhere down the line. I just feel better waiting for the version that is kink free and cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment