Friday, June 24, 2022

Thor: The Dark World 4K Review

 




Thor: The Dark World
Directed by Alan Taylor
Screenplay by Christopher Yost, Christopher Markus, and Stephen McFeely

A long time ago in a dimension far far away lived dark elves. How dark were they? Well, they want the entire universe to return to primordial darkness with zero light. Odin's puff daddy, Thor's grandpappy, led the forces of Asgard against the elves and defeated them. He also sealed the substance they were going to use to darken the universe and hid it where nobody could find it. This substance is called The Ether. 

It stays hidden until brilliant malnourished Princess Amidala finds it accidentally searching for a dimensional portal to find her sweaty well oiled and ripped wanna be lover Thor. It seems he hasn't given her a call in two years. But he promised he would return. Anyway, she stumbles upon the ether which enters her body AND awakens the dark elves from their long slumber! Predictably, their plan to shroud the nine realms in shadow is still their goal. 

I gotta admit I did not really care for this film when it originally came out. I was underwhelmed to say the least, but upon a second viewing, I really enjoyed it. The dark elves seem just odd enough and other that they have a vague unnerving presence, almost like the inhabitants of a Dark Souls game. I liked the family interactions between Thor, Loki, Odin, and Freya. You could feel the love. I also like the Warriors Three and Sif having major roles in the sequel. I was such a huge Thor fan when I was a kid. Up until the Beta Ray Bill fiasco. 

Unfortunately, from what I remember of the third Thor film, the franchise sank into slapstick comedy and Thor ended up becoming an overweight buffoon by the time of the last Avengers films. And it looks like the new Thor movie is going to be more of the same comedic parody. I thought The Dark World had just the right mix of seriousness, humor, and adventure. 

My Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment