Monday, July 2, 2018

Treasure Island (1950) Movie Review



Treasure Island (1950)
Directed by Victor Fleming
Screenplay by Lawrence Edward Watkin

Having just finished reading the book by Robert Louis Stevenson and never having seen this movie, I came to its viewing with a lot of built in prejudice because it was a "Disney" film. I expected it to be kind of slapstick and sanitized with pirates falling over dead in their best John Woo poses with no blood whatsoever. So imagine my shock when someone gets shot in the face and there is actual blood splatter! Not that I'm into gore, but I was pleasantly surprised that this film wasn't as dated as I thought it was going to be. You might even call it GRITTY. I mean, the pirates are unshaven, ramshackle, and dirty. And believable most of all.

All of the actors were great. The standout of course was Robert Newton's take on Long John Silver, where are the film pirate archetypes were originated. From his "ARRRRR" to the ever constant talking parrot on his shoulder and a peg leg. He plays it to the hilt in every scene...maybe even a tad OVER the top but his performance is a delight. Bobby Driscoll does a fine job as the young Jim Hawkins, displaying just the right amounts of naivete and bravery. Silver and him are almost an anti-Dynamic Duo, sometimes working together but just as likely to be enemies.

I was happily delighted that the film was mainly true to the novel. They might have left out some bits for time reasons, but essentially, the story is all here. Next up on my list is to watch the 1934 version of Treasure Island with Jackie Cooper as Jim!

My Grade: B 

No comments:

Post a Comment