Saturday, May 5, 2012

Free Comic Day Was A Waste Of Time



I got up early this morning to make it to my local Bedrock City Comics for Free Comic Day. I think this is actually the first comic day I've ever gone to. Last time I was in the comic store they said there would be a line so I wanted to be there when it opened at 10am. They were right. There was a line. It took me and my friend about 40 minutes to get in an out of the store.

What pissed me off was that there was a 4 comic limit. You could only get 4 comics. What a rip. I stood in line for FOUR comics for 40 minutes? I just assumed (dumb me), that I would be able to get one copy of each free comic. But alas, that's what I get for assuming. If I had known about the limit, I wouldn't even have bothered to go. After looking around the net a bit after getting home, it looks like how many comics you can get is dictated by each comic store. So while some offer even less, others offer a lot more, so next time I will definitely call around to see what each store is offering.

If all of the stores in my city have the same limit, I will not participate in the Free Day ever again. So these are the free comics I got, along with a free Thor heroclix figure:







Also picked up Earth 2 #1 from DC and the first volume of Daredevil Marvel Essentials. These were definitely not free.



All in all, going to that comic shop was a big waste of time.

Oh yeah, me and my friend were talking in the line right at the point of getting to the comics, and this woman and her punk son suddenly appear in front of us. She said "I feel awkward about cutting here, but we have to be somewhere in 10 minutes, so....". Funny thing is we were so engaged in looking at stuff waiting in line that we wouldn't even have noticed them cutting IF they hadn't said anything. But we were so close by then, I didn't even care. Funny thing is you had to wait to leave AFTER you got your free comics and check out just as if you were buying them, so they ended up leaving without getting any comics. Idiots. I thought that was pretty stupid too. You had to wait in line to GET the free comics and THEN you had to wait in line to LEAVE with your comics??? WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

I think this was my first and last free comic book day.  And it has also reminded me of why I could care less if physical comic stores cease to exist. They waste my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment