Sunday, September 26, 2010

Book Review: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund



I remember playing the videogame Halo: Combat Evolved on my dad's Xbox for a few minutes almost a decade ago. The thing I remember most about the game is that it was a sci-fi shooter and also that I had no clue as to what was going on story-wise with the plot. I felt like the gamemakers just assumed I already knew what Halo was about. Over the ensuing 9 years I was aware of the games but never really knew about the universe in which they were taking place. But I figured the release of the Halo: Reach videogame, it would be a good spot to jump on with the the series. So i got out the original Halo and also started reading this book, which is the direct prequel to the first game.

I don't really see the point in going over the plot of the book, since I've already pretty much summed it up in my review of the Halo: Combat Evolved game about a month ago. The Fall of Reach takes us from the first formative plans for the Spartan project, through their training, cybernetic and genetic modifications, all the way until their extermination by the Covenant on the planet Reach. That is, all except for the Master Chief.

I really liked this book. Everytime I see a Spartan in the games, they're more machine than man (or woman), and come off as these all-knowing duty fanatics. You almost never get to see their face. What I liked about The Fall of Reach is that we see a lot of the Spartans out of their suits with their helmets off. We even get to learn their names. They're not always super cool and they do doubt themselves. While they don't exactly show fear, they worry about their missions, etc. From the games, it seems like there is nothing they can't handle. Almost like they were demi-gods. I really wish the new Reach game had followed this book instead of coming up with a new Spartan team. If you are new to the Halo franchise I would definitely read this book before starting the new game. Actually, I would say read it before you play ANY Halo game. Nylund's writing stands on its own, mainly because it doesn't have to follow a boring videogame storyline. If you read this book, it will add infinitely to your enjoyment of the games, but it is also just a good sci-fi novel.

My Grade: A

(Published by Del Rey, $7.99)

No comments:

Post a Comment